Have you seen coenzyme Q10 on product labels and wondered, “what the heck is that?” You’re not the only one!
Actually, it’s a compound also known as CoQ10, and it may contain many beneficial effects.
According to a piece from the journal Frontiers in Bioscience-Landmark, low levels of CoQ10 have been linked to diabetes, fibromyalgia, cancers, and heart disease. “CoQ10 treatment does not cause serious adverse effects in humans and new formulations have been developed that increase CoQ10 absorption and tissue distribution. Oral CoQ10 treatment is a frequent mitochondrial energizer and antioxidant strategy in many diseases that may provide a significant symptomatic benefit,” confirms the journal article.
Read these must-know facts about CoQ10:
- CoQ10 is a compound that’s situated in the mitochondria of your cells. These compounds have a strict job, which is to produce energy! But unfortunately, as we age, CoQ10 levels decline in the body. Thus, supplementation could help prevent oxidative stress and some nutritional deficiencies.
- Highest levels of CoQ10 are located in your lungs, liver, heart and kidneys.
- “CoQ10 seems to help treat heart failure by improving heart function, increasing ATP production and limiting oxidative damage,” confirms Healthline.
- Low levels may be linked to skin cancer. In one study, it was suggested that baseline plasma CoQ10 levels could be analyzed as a skin cancer risk factor.
- Do you suffer from migraines? In some studies, CoQ10 has been shown to help lessen inflammation during a migraine episode.
- If you want to improve your athletic performance, CoQ10 may be useful. One study explained that 1200mg of CoQ10 everyday might lessen oxidative stress. Medical journals have also mentioned that the compound might lessen fatigue, which directly improves your physical performance.
- The compound may considered for preventing cognitive decline. In particular, CoQ10 might delay/slow down the progression of neurodegenerative concerns, such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
Coenzyme Q10 truly plays a role in long-term health. Do you think you would benefit from it? Are you interested in CoQ10 supplementation? Please contact our educators at Canna Relief for help! Call 905-286-4420 if you have concerns about CoQ10 or hemp for wellness.
Garrido-Maraver J, Cordero MD, Oropesa-Avila M, Vega AF, de la Mata M, Pavon AD, Alcocer-Gomez E, Calero CP, Paz MV, Alanis M, de Lavera I, Cotan D, Sanchez-Alcazar JA. Clinical applications of coenzyme Q10. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2014 Jan 1;19(4):619-33. doi: 10.2741/4231. PMID: 24389208.
Hershey AD, Powers SW, Vockell AL, Lecates SL, Ellinor PL, Segers A, Burdine D, Manning P, Kabbouche MA. Coenzyme Q10 deficiency and response to supplementation in pediatric and adolescent migraine. Headache. 2007 Jan;47(1):73-80. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4610.2007.00652.x. PMID: 17355497.
Rusciani L, Proietti I, Rusciani A, Paradisi A, Sbordoni G, Alfano C, Panunzi S, De Gaetano A, Lippa S. Low plasma coenzyme Q10 levels as an independent prognostic factor for melanoma progression. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006 Feb;54(2):234-41. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2005.08.031. Epub 2005 Dec 27. PMID: 16443053.