Thinking of trying cannabis edibles for the first time?
Follow these tips to help avoid unpleasant experiences:
- Start low and go slow. Don’t eat the whole cookie! As per Health Canada’s guidelines, the standard dose of THC in an edible is legally 10 mg; however, some people can feel an effect with a dose as low as 2 mg.
- Read the package carefully. Depending on what type of cannabis strain it’s made with, different edibles may have different effects.
- Patience is key. It’s tempting to eat more after a few minutes, but just be patient for the effects to kick in. THC edibles can take up to 90 minutes (sometimes longer!) to impact your body, and these effects can last between 4 and 10 hours.
- Lock away your edibles. They should be kept away from pets and from those under the age of 19.
- Do not mix edibles with alcohol or other controlled substances. Otherwise the effect may become intensified. Talk to your doctor if you’re concerned about taking cannabis while on medications.
- Do not drive high. THC can alter your perception and reaction time, so make sure you have a designated driver on hand.
- Keep calm if you’ve had too much THC. If your high feels like too much to handle, lie down, drink lots of water and taking CBD oil for alleviation. For more on what to do if you get too high, click here.
Bonus Tip: Consider trying an edible that’s high in CBD and low in THC; or try an edible that contains 1:1 CBD and THC. That way, you’ll have a lesser chance of getting “too high.”
If you want to learn more about edibles, feel free to visit our Streetsville (Mississauga) storefront or call us at 905-286-4420.