We’ve heard countless times that green tea is good for you. But do you know exactly why green tea is beneficial? Read these 10 interesting facts about green tea for your health:
- Green tea may lower your cholesterol. According to WebMD, “A 2013 review of many studies found green tea helped prevent a range of heart-related issues, from high blood pressure to congestive heart failure.”
- Try green tea to substitute sugary beverages. As explained by Christopher Ochner, PhD, of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital, “All things being equal, if you sub 1-2 cups of green tea for one can of soda, over the next year you’d save over 50,000 calories.”
- Green tea may support a healthy immune system. Great news: green tea actually has antibacterial and antiviral effects! According to the British Journal of Pharmacology, the main component of green tea, called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), has been shown to have “anti-infective” properties on numerous viruses. (Click here for more immune-boosting tips.)
- Green tea is chock-full of antioxidants, which may help reduce inflammation. Green tea contains polyphenols, which contain antioxidants known to fight inflammation. “These antioxidants also proactively protect cells from damage that can lead to a number of chronic illnesses, making it a superfood that offers a broad range of health protection,” confirms Health magazine.
- Try green tea to lessen the progression of arthritis. In a study by Case Western Reserve University, four cups of green tea were given to mice; they were then administered a substance that helped induce rheumatoid arthritis. The results showed that the mice that were provided with green tea were less prone to arthritis compared to mice that only had water.
- You may gain natural energy from drinking green tea. If you don’t like those coffee “jitters”, green tea may be a solution for you. According to Healthline, green tea contains L-theanine and just a little bit of caffeine. As a result, “green tea may give you a much milder and different kind of buzz than coffee,” explains the health website. “Many people report having more stable energy and being much more productive when they drink green tea, compared with coffee.”
If you’re looking for a green tea supplement, feel free to stop by our Streetsville, Mississauga location! Talk to us about our newest supplement, Swiss Naturals Solutions Energy, which contains green tea, vitamin B12 and guarana.